Before embarking on an SEO campaign or when choosing a niche market to target, keyword research and careful planning should be done so efforts are focused.
Here are some steps to get you started
- Use Google Keyword Tool to gather relevant keywords.
- Copy results and paste into Google Traffic Estimator to get CPC, Clicks and Revenue data.
- Alternatively, you can pay $25 a month for SEMRush’s service and skip steps 1 & 2.
- Choose which keywords have high CPC and Monthly Search Volume
Now we have our keywords, it’s time to determine how hard it will be to be on the first page of the SERPs.
- A tool such as the SEOQuake Firefox Plugin will be very useful for this task. Other alternatives are tools from SEOBook and the Firefox Plugin repository.
- Do a search on Google.com or your target geographic.
- Note how many websites have the exact keywords as the first words of their title tags. These are your main competitors. Disregard hub pages such as ehow.com, about.com, wikipedia.com because there is no way you are going to displace them. If your keyword is filled with these hub sites, pack up and find another keyword.
- With the noted websites, see what their Google PageRank is, how many links from Yahoo “sitedomain”, the existence of a DMOZ listing, Domain Age, SEMRush Rank and SE Traffic Price and Keyword Density. Also check websites on WebsiteGrader.com, Compete.com and Google Trends
Great! now you have your shortlist of niche keywords, go on and bring in some traffic and moolah!