Stan Christensen talks about the Art of Negotiation for the Stanford Technology Ventures Program.
Stan Christensen is a partner at Arbor Advisors, an investment banking firm where he negotiates on behalf of mid-market technology companies.
What I learned from Stan:
- Negotiation is not a one time event.
- The pie of negotiation is not always fixed. To negotiate effectively, you have to creatively figure out how to make the pie bigger.
- Challenge your assumptions.
- Negotiation is simply effective relationship management and creative problem solving.
- Establish an “objective criteria” independent from both parties.
- Precedents are good objective criterias.
- Base your agreements on objective standards, not just what the other party wants.