Randy Komisar joined Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers as a partner in 2005. Several years prior, Komisar partnered with entrepreneurs creating businesses with leading edge technologies.
He was a co-founder of Claris Corporation, he served as CEO for LucasArts Entertainment and Crystal Dynamics, and he’s acted as a “virtual CEO” for such companies as WebTV, Mirra, and GlobalGiving. He was a founding Director of TiVo where he remains current chairman of the Nominating and Governance Committee. Earlier, Komisar served as CFO of GO Corporation and as Senior Counsel for Apple Computer, following a private practice in technology law.
I learned a lot from Randy, he is full of insights and would make a good mentor.
Who are the entrepreneurs?
- Are you comfortable with failure? Constructive failure is good. Edison failed a lot but he failed constructively.
- There is an entrepreneurial character and it is very comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Entrepreneurs are very capable of understanding and targeting opportunities that others don’t see.
- Entrepreneurs are tenacious about their pursuit, while at the same time remain permeable to other ideas and feedback
- Am I suited with the uncertainties and the ambiguities or am i not?
Randy’s tip for a Balanced Life
Never put yourself in a situation where you can’t say no.
How to get the closest thing to a balanced life?
- Pay attention to what’s important.
- Have a group of people who you respect and share your values. In other words, your perosnal advisory board.
Rather than thinking of THE one passion, think of all your portfolio of passions and how to marry them into the opportunities in front of you.
2 Paralyzing Questions:
- What is your “the” passion
- What is the ultimate question? what’s the ultimate thing that you’re going to do with your life.